The Local Government Mayoral Advisory Panel (LGMAP) is appointed and chaired by the Minister for Local Government. The panel advises the Minister on a range of legislative, regulatory, strategic and policy decisions which impact the local government sector. Meetings of the LGMAP are usually scheduled between March and October to account for mayoral terms and to enable the Minister to select members through an expression of interest process.
2022 Local Government Mayoral Advisory Panel
The Minister for Local Government has appointed the 2022 Local Government Mayoral Advisory Panel (LGMAP), which will provide advice to the Minister on a broad range of topics relevant to the local government sector.
The appointees to the 2022 LGMAP are:
- Rt Hon. Sally Capp, Lord Mayor, Melbourne City Council
- Cr Anthony Tran, Mayor, Maribyrnong City Council
- Cr Frances Eyre, Mayor, Nillumbik Shire Council
- Cr Jane Addis, Mayor, Boroondara City Council
- Cr Jasmine Nguyen, Mayor, Brimbank City Council
- Cr Kellie O’Callaghan, Mayor, Latrobe City Council
- Cr Michael Whelan, Mayor, Bass Coast Shire Council
- Cr Robyn Gulline, Mayor, Horsham Rural City Council
- Cr Samantha Byrne, Mayor, Moonee Valley City Council
- Cr Tony Driscoll, Mayor, Northern Grampians Shire Council
The role of LGMAP is to provide high level advice to the Minister on a range of legislative, regulatory, strategic and policy decisions which impact on local government.
Chaired by the Minister, this year’s panel will focus on COVID-19 recovery, gender equality, and strengthening relationships with First Nations Victorians.
The panel met for the first time on 27 April 2022 where they discussed council culture and councillor conduct and priorities for social and economic COVID recovery.
Future meetings are scheduled for 15 June, 27 July and 7 September.
Further information regarding the responsibilities and operation of the panel is detailed in the 2022 LGMAP Terms of Reference.
For more information, please contact the LGMAP Secretariat, Policy and Strategy Branch, Local Government Victoria on LGV-LGMAP-Secretariat@ecodev.vic.gov.auor on (03) 9623 1279.
In March 2021 Local Government Minister, the Hon Shaun Leane MP announced the 15 Victorian Mayors selected to form the 2021 LGMAP.
Chaired by the Minister for Local Government, the LGMAP discussed issues including the continued implementation of the new Local Government Act, coronavirus (COVID-19) recovery, climate change, housing challenges in rural and regional Victoria, and culture in the local government sector. Members also had the opportunity to present on work and initiatives that they have been involved in and to share learnings and outcomes with the panel.
The members of the 2021 panel were:
- Rt Hon Sally Capp, Lord Mayor City of Melbourne
- Cr Kris Bolam, Mayor, Frankston City Council
- Cr Louise Crawford, Mayor, Port Phillip City Council
- Cr Kate Hely, Mayor, Stonnington City Council
- Cr Joseph Haweil, Mayor, Hume City Council
- Cr Adele Hegedich, Mayor, Wyndham City Council
- Cr Despi O’Connor, Mayor, Mornington Peninsula Shire Council
- Cr Kim O’Keefe, Mayor, Greater Shepparton City Council
- Cr Daniel Moloney, Mayor, Ballarat City Council
- Cr Mendy Urie, Mayor, East Gippsland Shire Council
- Cr Libby Stapleton, Mayor, Surf Coast Shire Council
- Cr Jennifer Anderson, Mayor, Macedon Ranges Shire Council
- Cr Jenny O’Connor, Mayor, Indigo Shire Council
- Cr David Wortmann, Mayor, Towong Shire Council
- Cr Jo Armstrong, Mayor, Ararat Rural City Council
In 2021 the LGMAP met on 21 April, 2 June, 28 July and 8 September via videoconference.
The term of the 2021 LGMAP members concluded on 20 October 2021.
- Cr Jo Armstrong, Mayor of Ararat Rural City Council
- Cr Brett Tessari, Mayor of Bass Coast Shire Council
- Cr Carolyn Stewart, Mayor of Buloke Shire Council
- Cr Jeff Springfield, Mayor of Cardinia Shire Council
- Cr Jim Memeti, Mayor of Greater Dandenong City Council
- Cr Seema Abdullah, Mayor of Greater Shepparton City Council
- Cr Licia Kokocinski, Mayor of Hepburn Shire Council
- Cr Colleen Gates, Mayor of Hobsons Bay City Council
- Cr Janet Pearce, Mayor of Macedon Ranges Shire Council
- Cr Marg Attley OAM, Mayor of Mansfield Shire Council
- Rt Hon Sally Capp, Lord Mayor, Melbourne City Council
- Cr Lara Carli, Mayor of Melton City Council
- Cr Lambros Tapinos, Mayor of Moreland City Council
- Cr Rose Hodge, Mayor of Surf Coast Shire Council
- Cr Alan Hall, Mayor of Wellington Shire Council
Four regular meetings of the LGMAP were held in 2020 on 26 February, 13 May, 15 July and 9 September. Panel discussions included recovery from the 2019-20 Victorian Bushfires, responding to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, implementation of the Local Government Act 2020, state and local government’s approach to addressing homelessness, the effect of COVID-19 on tourism in Victoria and the Working for Victoria initiative.
During the initial phases of the COVID-19 outbreak, regular extraordinary meetings of the 2020 LGMAP were convened to discuss the impacts of the pandemic on Victorian councils