2020 Local Government Mayoral Advisory Panel
The Minister for Local Government appointed the 2020 Local Government Mayoral Advisory Panel (LGMAP) in early February. The panel advises the Minister on a range of legislative, regulatory, strategic and policy decisions which impact the local government sector..
The appointees to the 2020 LGMAP are:
- Cr Jo Armstrong, Mayor of Ararat Rural City Council
- Cr Brett Tessari, Mayor of Bass Coast Shire Council
- Cr Carolyn Stewart, Mayor of Buloke Shire Council
- Cr Jeff Springfield, Mayor of Cardinia Shire Council
- Cr Jim Memeti, Mayor of Greater Dandenong City Council
- Cr Seema Abdullah, Mayor of Greater Shepparton City Council
- Cr Licia Kokocinski, Mayor of Hepburn Shire Council
- Cr Colleen Gates, Mayor of Hobsons Bay City Council
- Cr Janet Pearce, Mayor of Macedon Ranges Shire Council
- Cr Marg Attley OAM, Mayor of Mansfield Shire Council
- Rt Hon Sally Capp, Lord Mayor, Melbourne City Council
- Cr Lara Carli, Mayor of Melton City Council
- Cr Lambros Tapinos, Mayor of Moreland City Council
- Cr Rose Hodge, Mayor of Surf Coast Shire Council
- Cr Alan Hall, Mayor of Wellington Shire Council
The make-up of the panel supports ‘Safe and Strong’, the Victorian Government’s gender equality strategy, with the 15 members reflecting a diversity of views and experiences.
Meetings are scheduled for 26 February, 13 May, 15 July and 23 September.
Further information regarding the responsibilities and operation of the panel are detailed in the 2020 LGMAP’s Terms of Reference.
- 2020 Local Government Mayoral Advisory Panel - Terms of Reference (PDF, 113.2 KB)
- 2020 Local Government Mayoral Advisory Panel - Terms of Reference (DOCX, 131.5 KB)
The first meeting of the 2020 Local Government Mayoral Advisory Panel took place on Wednesday 26 February. Lee Miezis, Chief Executive Officer of the newly-established agency Bushfire Recovery Victoria, provided the panel with an overview of the agency and their people-centred, locally driven approach to recovery from the recent Victorian bushfires.
The Minister also sought advice from the panel on a new requirement in the Local Government Act 2020. Panel members were asked for their views on mandatory training for candidates in council elections, specifically the content and timing of the training and how proof of participation in this training would be established at the time of nomination.
The second meeting of the 2020 Local Government Mayoral Advisory Panel (LGMAP) took place virtually on 13 May 2020. Minister Somyurek sought feedback from the 2020 panel on the running of virtual meetings, the impacts of coronavirus (COVID-19) on Victorian councils, and whether the 2020 Victorian council elections should proceed as scheduled. The panel was also provided with an update on the implementation of the Local Government Act 2020, and how implementation is progressing in a COVID-19 environment.
Shari McPhail, Assistant Director of Homelessness and Accommodation Support at the Department of Health and Human Services presented to the panel an overview of the Victorian government’s response to homelessness during COVID-19. As part of this discussion, panel members Cr Seema Abdullah, Mayor of Greater Shepparton City Council, and Rt Hon Sally Capp, Lord Mayor of Melbourne City Council presented on initiatives in their municipalities which aim to address homelessness.
Please contact the LGMAP Secretariat, Policy and Strategy Branch, Local Government Victoria on email@example.com or via (03) 9948 8550.
Note: During the initial phases of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak the Minister for Local Government convened fortnightly meetings of the 2020 LGMAP to discuss the impacts on Victorian councils.
On 13 May 2020 it was agreed that these meetings would be held monthly going forward.
Page last updated: 19/05/20