The Free from Violence Local Government Program contributes to the Victorian Government’s vision to create a Victoria where everyone experiences equality, respect and lives free from violence.
The Program’s objectives are to:
- Increase awareness and understanding across Victorian councils of the drivers of family violence and all forms of violence against women, and how to stop this violence before it starts in Victorian communities.
- Support Victorian councils to promote positive attitudes, behaviours and culture change in their workplace and through the programs and services they deliver, to prevent family violence and all forms of violence against women.
- Test the appropriateness, useability and effectiveness of the Guide as a tool to support councils to implement and embed a whole-of-council approach to preventing family violence and all forms of violence against women.
Additional information, including Program Guidelines, can be found under 'Resources (hyperlink to Accordion 3)' on this page.
Since its commencement in 2022, the two rounds of the Program are providing 27 councils with up to $270,000 of funding to support the implementation of The Local Government Guide for Preventing Family Violence and All Forms of Violence Against Women (the Guide). The full list of recipients for each funding round is available below.
DFFH, DGS and the MAV will support participating councils through funding and practical support.
- Benalla City Council
- City of Darebin
- City of Wodonga
- Corangamite Shire Council
- Greater Shepparton City Council
- Hindmarsh City Council
- Horsham Rural City Council
- Knox City Council
- La Trobe City Council
- Macedon Ranges Shire Council
- Mornington Peninsula Shire Council
- Wellington Shire Council
- Bass Coast Shire Council
- Brimbank City Council
- City of Casey
- City of Greater Bendigo
- City of Melbourne
- City of Melton
- Hume City Council
- Maroondah City Council
- Mildura Rural City Council
- Mitchell Shire Council
- Monash City Council
- Murrindindi Shire Council
- Northern Grampians Shire Council
- Rural City of Wangaratta
- Yarra Ranges City Council
- Free from violence: Victoria's strategy to prevent family violence
- Council contributions categories (council classification)
- Funding details (including contributions from councils)