The Minister for Local Government has established an Inquiry into the South Gippsland Shire Council under section 209 of the Local Government Act 1989 and appointed three Commissioners to conduct the Inquiry:
- The Hon Frank Vincent AO QC, a former Supreme Court judge (Chair of Commissioners);
- Ms Julie Eisenbise, a former mayor and councillor at Manningham City Council between 1997 and 2005 (Commissioner); and
- Mr John Watson, a former senior public servant with more than four decades experience across both local and State government (Commissioner).
The Terms of Reference for the Inquiry are:
1. To conduct an inquiry into matters relating to the affairs of the South Gippsland Shire Council, including through an examination of:
- The final report from the municipal monitor and any responses from the Council or Councillors to the Minister's letter dated 2 April 2019;
- The conduct of individual councillors during the term of the current Council;
- Processes and decisions in the lead up to the conclusion of the current Chief Executive Officer contract, including the appointment of an Acting Chief Executive Officer;
- Any other decisions made, or actions taken, by the Council after the Minister's letter dated 2 April 2019 to the Council;
- The efficiency and effectiveness of the Council's governance arrangements in delivering services to its constituents; and
- Any other matters identified by the Commission that have an impact on the Council's ability to function.
2. To report to the Minister for Local Government in writing on the matters outlined above by 13 June 2019.
The Local Government Act 1989 provides the inquiry with broad ranging powers including summoning witnesses, requiring the production of documents and full access to the Council and its documents.
The Commission of Inquiry asked for written submissions from the public addressing one or more of the terms of reference outlined above.
Submissions for this Inquiry have now closed.
Submissions received by the Commission that are appropriate for publication can be viewed below.
Private and Public proceedings
The Commissioners have determined the conduct of their proceedings in accordance with their powers under the Local Government Act 1989.
Private hearings are being conducted by invitation from Commissioners.
Public hearings for the Inquiry will occur on Wednesday 5 June 2019 at the Performing Arts Centre at Korumburra Secondary College, 125 Jumbunna Rd, Korumburra from 6.00 until 8.00pm.
You can register your interest to attend the public proceedings by emailing email@example.com.
Page last updated: 14/06/19