Why is this important?

The Victorian Government has a program of negotiating “Recognition and Settlement Agreements” with groups of Traditional Owners under the Traditional Owner Settlement Act 2010.  One component of these agreements is a Land Use Activity Agreement (LUAA), which establishes processes that must be followed when various kinds of activities occur on public land within the LUAA area.  For example, issuing a licence or permit over the land, clearing, or carrying out certain kinds of works on the land.

Local councils need to know whether land within their boundaries is subject to a LUAA. If so, they need to ensure that their activities on public land comply with the LUAA.

What can your Council do?

Be informed.  This is a compliance requirement under legislation.  Further information about this legislation and the agreements that have been made, or are in the process of being negotiated, can be found here.

Local Government Victoria has developed information to help local councils understand and comply with the first LUAA to be negotiated, the Dja Dja Wurrung LUAA in central Victoria.

Face-to-face training for relevant council staff may be available from the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning for a small fee.  Please contact local.government@delwp.vic.gov.au for more information. Alternatively, councils can arrange their own training.