Outdoor Activation Grants 2020-21
In September 2020, the Victorian Government committed funding of $29.5 million to local councils to help them implement swift and streamlined permit, enforcement and monitoring processes to support expanded outdoor dining.
In January 2021, the Victorian Government committed an additional $5 million to a second, competitive program round to enable eligible local councils facing significant and unique challenges to access additional financial support.
In November 2021, the Victorian Government committed an additional $40 million to support hospitality businesses and a broad range of industries that have been severely impacted by COVID restrictions (such as gyms, creative businesses, personal/beauty services, and non-essential retail).
Guidelines and Assessment Process for Applicants
The $40 million COVIDSafe Outdoor Activation Fund 2021 supports Victorian councils in assisting businesses to operate in outdoor settings in a COVIDSafe manner. This will assist business viability and will support ongoing community safety and confidence as part of the roadmap to reopening.
The Victorian Government has committed $40 million to the COVIDSafe Outdoor Activation Fund 2021 which builds on Round 1 and Round 2 of the Local Councils Outdoor Eating and Entertainment Package.
In addition to supporting hospitality businesses, the funding will support a broad range of industries that have been severely impacted by COVID restrictions (such as gyms, creative businesses, personal/beauty services, and non-essential retail).
Funding will be provided to all councils (except for the City of Melbourne) for works, services and promotion of outdoor activation through two components:
- Part A - $20.5 million for works, services and promotion of outdoor activation, to immediately extend the life of existing outdoor eating and entertainment facilities and provide new facilities for other businesses to also operate outdoors.
- Part B - $19.5 million to establish semi-permanent and permanent outdoor precincts that support industries impacted by COVID restrictions and will be of lasting benefit to local communities.
The COVIDSafe Outdoor Activation Fund 2021 will enable all Victorian local councils (excluding the City of Melbourne) to facilitate expanded outdoor economic activity at the local level. Councils will receive a fixed allocation of funding for both Part A and Part B.
Access the Guidelines for the program here.
The package is a competitive grants round, with eligible councils assessed on whether they face unique and significant challenges in activating outdoor dining that require further investment.
Applications opened on 5 February and closed at 2pm on 26 February 2021.
Eligible councils under Round 2 are:
- Metropolitan councils (excluding City of Melbourne)
- Regional cities (Ballarat City Council, Greater Bendigo City Council, Greater Geelong City Council, Greater Shepparton City Council, Horsham Rural City Council, Latrobe City Council, Mildura Rural City Council, Wangaratta Rural City Council, Warrnambool City Council, Wodonga City Council)
- Peri-urban councils (Bass Coast Shire Council, Baw Baw Shire Council, Macedon Ranges Shire Council, Moorabool Shire Council, Golden Plains Council and Surf Coast Shire Council)
Metropolitan councils and regional city councils received $500,000 in assistance, while rural councils received $250,000. This money is supporting businesses by reducing or waiving permit fees and being invested in infrastructure such as streetscaping and lighting.
Boroondara City Council
Greater Geelong City Council
Monash City Council
Port Phillip City Council
Stonnington City Council
Yarra City Council
Whittlesea City Council
Banyule City Council
Maribyrnong City Council
Darebin City Council
Frankston City Council
Glen Eira City Council
Hobsons Bay City Council
Mildura Rural City Council
Moonee Valley City Council
Moreland City Council
Mornington Peninsula Shire Council
Wyndham City Council
Yarra Ranges Shire Council
Bass Coast Shire Council
Horsham Rural City Council
Wangaratta Rural City Council