LGV works in partnership with the local government sector to improve business and governance practices.
LGV employs policy, legal, governance and finance professionals to ensure this partnership and the workings of local government are accountable and represent good value to communities.
Along with providing policy advice to the Minister for Local Government, LGV oversees the administration of the Local Government Act 1989 and other relevant legislation.
The Minister for Local Government
The Minister for Local Government administers a range of Acts and legislation. Within government, the Minister advocates for local government issues within government. Through Local Government Victoria, the Minister also supports and monitors the system of local government.
The Minister is not directly involved in the detailed management of individual councils.
In August 2015, the Minister released a Ministerial Statement on Local Government outlining a range of reforms to:
- improve councils’ integrity and governance;
- strengthen capacity and performance; and
- provide the platform for local government to deliver for communities.
Local Government Acts and legislation
- Local Government Act 1989
- Local Government (Rural City of Wangaratta) Act 2013
- Local Government (Brimbank City Council) Act 2009
- City of Melbourne Act 2001
- City of Greater Geelong Act 1993
- Libraries Act 1988
- Victoria Grants Commission Act 1976
- Municipalities Assistance Act 1973
- Municipal Association Act 1907
- Prahran Mechanics' Institute Act 1899
Visit Victorian Legislation and Parliamentary Documents for the latest versions of these acts.
Visit Know Your Council for more on council performance and services. Know Your Council provides guides and resources on how to resolve a problem with your local council.
Local Government Investigations and Compliance Inspectorate investigates concerns related to council operations.
Contact Planning for information relating to planning applications, planning schemes, planning toolkits and other planning related information.
Contact Local Government Victoria
Level 35, 2 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne VIC 3000
Local Government Victoria
GPO Box 500
East Melbourne VIC 8002
If you know the name of the person you wish to contact, use the address structure: email@example.com